Saturday, January 24, 2009

DISREPAIR

DISREPAIR

Function: noun

Date:1798

The state of being in need of repair; (a building fallen into disrepair)

A couple times a month for the past 2 years I have driven past this house. It has been in a state of disrepair since the first time I saw it. Sometimes I try to envision it when it was new. This kind of damage doesn’t happen all at once. I imagine it might have begun with a loose shingle and then a leak. One thing led to another, and now it looks like a strong wind could knock it down.

As time passes, buildings fall into states of disrepair if there is no one to care for them. I find I am much like a building in that way. The events of life can destroy and erode if I am not careful. A small thing easily becomes a big one if ignored. Staying awake means being aware of the places that are easily destroyed or eroded in my own life and giving them the attention they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment